Re: Saga of a BBC

To: pyramid!sgi!alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Saga of a BBC
From: sgi!optilink!rons350!knipper@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Ron Knipper)
Date: Fri, 25 May 90 09:15:11 PDT
Garry Archer writes re: the cost of the `75 Aston AMV8:
>I *have* to ask, Ron.  How much?  (If you only want to send me personal
>e-mail if the subject really is that sensative, that's OK too...).  I'm
>just wondering, that's all.

I bought 1975 AMV8 in March of 1986 by trading them my `73 450SL and
$3500 for the Aston as is.  What hurts is the SL was an extremely reliable
eligant car which is associated with many fond memories.  However, as the
years went by, I learned to hate the SL.  The soft top was a pain; the
performance was mediocre; and seats were pure Teutonic torture.  The
effective cost of the Aston was probably $17000 - $18000.  At that time,
I looked at 3 similar AMV8s in that price range.  All needed significant
work.  The particulars of this car plus the trade-in aspect made me do it.
Crazy?  Maybe.  I *got* my dream car.

I am projecting that the entire restoration work through June will run
close to $11000.  The majority of that is the engine rebuild.   For
numerous reasons, I am not doing the majority of the engine work myself
so that is a healthy chunk of the cost.  I console myself with the thought
that it is less expensive than a new Jag, and I humor myself with the
thought that it is less expensive than some Cadillacs [the ultimate kitsch].

There is something of an art to buying Aston parts.  The last place to
look is Aston Martin Logonda Ltd.  If they stock it [big if], the cost
will be absurd.  Gray market parts distributors are our saviors.  They
sell both AML and OEM substitues at substantial discounts; the OEM
substitues are often of better quality than the originals.  Since Astons
are produced in such small quantities, it contains many OEM components, e.g.
Jag, Weber, Chrysler, GM, Lucas, Girling. You can save much more by going
to other OEM sources.  This sometimes involves detective work.  The
heater valve disintgrated a couple of years ago.  AML wanted over $200 for it.
No obvious indication of its origin on the part or in the manuals.  I noticed
on the inside of the valve's plastic case there was a small pentagon symbol.
Eureka, $30 from the local Chrysler dealer.

>But to own an Aston Martin.  Ahhhh, the jealousy....
Many years ago I had a TR6.  It was the most fun car I have ever owned.  I
am a little envious too.

BTW, regarding finacing, I have no kids and currently no wife.

Ron Knipper
Optilink Corp.
707-795-9444
optilink!rons350!knipper