Re: Saga of a BBC

To: sgi!alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: Re: Saga of a BBC
From: harvard!hsi.com!archer@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Garry Archer)
Date: Thu, 24 May 90 11:59:55 EDT
Ron Knipper writes:
> I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel on the restoration of
> my 1975 Aston Martin V8.  When I bought the car 4 years ago, it was in sad
> shape.  ... The compression was low.  The suspension was bad.  And the
> electrical system ...  However, the body was in excellent condition and the
> interior was a little worn but still very good.  Also, as Aston's go, the
> price was right [don't ask - it still hurts].  ...

I *have* to ask, Ron.  How much?  (If you only want to send me personal
e-mail if the subject really is that sensative, that's OK too...).  I'm
just wondering, that's all.

The reason I ask is that I believe Aston Martins of all ages, types and
vintages are my favourite cars in all the world.  I just can't bloody
afford one.  Every time I see one, *especially* live, but also on the
telly or in pictures, I go completely ga-ga and weak-kneed and start to
plot selling the house, the kids, everything...

Getting back to the "the ones that got away" theme again; I went to a local
car show about 5 years ago.  A DB5 was there (I forget the year) and the
owner was selling it.  I was lusting after it and probably ruined the paint
job (which was in fair condition) with all my drool.  I talked with the
owner/seller for quite some time.  He showed me all over the car.  Oddly
enough I didn't ask to sit in it (my brain was so confused I suppose...).
The asking price?  It was some amount like $14,000.  Even then I knew it
was a relative bargain.  That car would probably be worth four times as
much today, even in the same average condition.

> [maintenance/repair saga deleted]
> End of saga.  Sorry for boring many of you and cluttering your mailboxes.

No-way you bored me!  It was a great piece and very informative about the
trials and tribulations of being an Aston Martin owner.  Something you
don't see every day (especially on this list, eh wot??? :-)

But to own an Aston Martin.  Ahhhh, the jealousy....

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
Code 3/HSI Systems (a 3M company),      Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert