Front springs on MGBGT

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Front springs on MGBGT
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <mit-eddie!plains.NoDak.edu!tsmith@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 May 90 11:14:53 -0500
       During a recent description of an AMV8 rebuild it was mentioned
    that the uncompressed front spring length was 4 feet.  In the
    restoration manual I have for the MGB it says to use extreme caution
    when taking the front end apart for work as the springs can fly out with
    great force.  Now when I took my front end apart I used a jack to keep
    the springs under tension to keep them from flying out with great force.
    When I released the jack the springs barely expanded and kind of fell
    over.  After seeing this I was somewhat curious and did not use the jack
    on the other spring.  Again the lower pan drops and the spring just
    falls out.  What I would like to know is does this mean that it is
    time for new springs?  There certainly didn't seem like there was to
    much spring left in the springs.

       Tim