WIRING HARNESS REPLACEMENT

To: BRITISH-CARS%alliant.alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: WIRING HARNESS REPLACEMENT
From: mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!WALZER%enp.prime.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 24 May 90 12:58:17 EDT

Based on your own descriptions, it sounds like your wiring harness is
in tough shape. such is the case when people have problems and "hack"
at wiring and don"t repair it properly. To fix one problem in a bad
wiring harness is only to have other problems later.

1st rule of rebuilding: Do it right the first time! No hack repairs to
undo/redo later.

I would not attempt re-wiring unless you have some electrical knowledge.
This does not mean being an electronics engineer, but some versatility
is required.
(ie: is problem the wire itself? or connections? or switch? or ?????)
Harnesses can be sub-divided:
1:  lights: head lights, tail lights, parking lights.
             These circuits are simple power-to-switch-to-lamp-to-ground.
            Directionals have the BLINKER in the circuit.
            Brake lights may get complicated if tail lamp is also brake
            lamp.

2:  Dash illumination/assessories: Again simple power-to-switch-to-lamp-
            to-ground. Most electrical diagrams have lots of "dash"
            wires for these, making diagrams overly complicated.

3:  Starting:  Battery-to-fuse block.
               Battery-to-solenoid-to-starter
               Battery-to-key-to-solenoid
4:  Charging:  Battery-to-regulator
               Generator-to-regulator
               Regulator-to-fuse block
5:  other:     key-to-coil-to-points-to-ground
               ignition (coil,distributor,plugs)
               electrical tachometer
               electrical overdrive system
I miss anything major?  Point is; if you feel comfortable with the above
and have confidence you know what you're doing then do it! Don't be
intimidated by electrical diagrams. After breaking my Healey diagrams
down to these simple sub-sections, I asked myself: "what am I missing"
before I realized I had it all!

Then there are the mechanical concerns of a new harness:
  Is it concours original?
  Are there extra/missing/too long/too short wires?
  Are there different type connectors?

Feel free to add extra ground wires. Old Lucas lamp sockets depend
upon metal fingers making contact with socket holders. Old cars
having oxidized/semi-rusted surfaces make bad contact. Thus, I added
extra ground wires to all metal fingers.

Don't know if this posting is much help, but good luck and...
Happy Healeying.
   Duane Walzer WALZER@ENP.PRIME.COM