Whitworth

To: alliant!alliant.com!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Whitworth
From: sgi!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 24 May 90 15:22:36 CDT
Just when you think you have it all figured out.  The wrench I ordered
from Moss is the wrong size.  It is stamped "5/16 W" but has a .600"
opening.  Machinery's Handbook says that this is a 3/8 W wrench.  I
want what The Handbook (That's what machinists call it: The Handbook)
calls a 5/16 W:  .525 opening.  I guess Moss will send me the right
wrench and it will say 1/4 W on it.  This is really confusing, and
wouldn't make any difference if you bought the whole set.  I told Moss
if the markings were not in accordance with British Standard
Whitworth, they should publish their dimensions.  I don't think they
do, because I asked the order-taker at the time of the original order
to confirm the dimension, and he said the information was not
available.  I can't believe that The Handbook is (gasp!) wrong about
it, but if any one has a different edition (mine is 20th) check it for
me.  I reminded Moss not to send out a wrench to me until someone had
MEASURED it.

phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov    In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324