Spitfire tires, hybrids, turning

To: sol%hoosier@cs
Subject: Spitfire tires, hybrids, turning
From: mit-eddie!cs.utah.edu!mjb%hoosier@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Fri, 18 May 90 08:58:36 -0600
As for Scott Fisher and Phil Ethier continuing the turning style conversation
on the britcar list rather than the autocross list, it doesn't surprise me.
Since I keep copies of just about every peice of car mail I get, I do a lot
of saving messages to files.  While going through the racing mail, or the
SOL mail or ... I often find articles which were inadvertantly put in the
wrong place due to carelessness.  And then there are articles which are sent
to both lists, but two copies end up in one file, none in the other.

Earlier this year I was going to send out a note appropriate to the autocross
list, the SOL list AND the italian car list.  It was about a Spitfire which
raced back east, doing well in autocross events.  It was using an Alfa motor
and tranny for power.  Boy, just think of the mail I could have sent if it also
had some Datsun Z car brakes and axles!  I still think about the possibility of
putting some more modern powerplant in a Spit.  Yes, I know I have plans for
a Spit 6 of my own, but I was thinking along the lines of some modern multiple
valve, twin cam two liter wonder that weighs half as much as a TR6 motor but
puts out twice the power.  Someday when I can afford to build my own chassis,
I guess.  Maybe I'll just put a mildly warmed up 2500cc motor in this yellow
GT6 I cleaned out yesterday...

Speaking of small Triumphs, Dan Mutchler asks about tires.  I would recommend
going with 175/70-13 Yoko A001Rs.  They should fit on the stock 4.5" rims, if
you have them.  I have run both 175/70 and 185/60 13" tires on my small cars
with no problems.  The 215/60-13 tires were a problem.  Going to a 14" wheel
could be expensive, as there are not many wheels made to fit the 4 on 3.75"
bolt circle of the Spit/GT.  You could always have some Revolutions made.  I
wonder if a 14" MG wire wheel would fit on a Spit splined hub?  At any rate
the Yokos are currently listed for $49 each from the Tire Rack, and they are
a streetable but quite sticky autocross tire.  As soon as I get either this
GT or the Spit currently taking up the one side of the garage done, I will
probably go with the 1Rs myself.

mjb.