Heat, Hybreds, Hard Luck, Hill-Climb.

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Heat, Hybreds, Hard Luck, Hill-Climb.
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 17 May 90 08:58:18 EDT
Roland asks about metalurgy::
        What effect (if any) does grinding and heating with a torch have on the
        hardness of a drop forged wrench?  This just may come up again.  BTW, a
        full set of Whitworth open end wrenches cost about $50.

Heating steels causes all sorts of changes in their structure. Even more
important is the cooling rate, and then just how hot it got. Slow "quenching"
(cooling) results in softer, more ductile steel. Fast quench yeilds hard &
brittle. If you cool cast iron too fast, it gets so brittle it shatters.
The results also vary with the alloy of the steel- high carbon alloys can
be made very hard and strong. "tool steel" is stuff which has been slow
quenched so that it's soft enough to machine. "Heat treating" (proper
application of heat and quench) is used to give it the desired hardness.
Wrenches may be either cast or forged, the latter being stronger. They should
be cooled at a fairly brisk rate to retain/regain hardness. In other words:
when grinding, don't let the part get too hot, and dunk frequently in water,
to avoid reaching critical temps in the first place. When bending a wrench
handle, try to keep the heat away from the head, and quench in water or oil.

Nark Found:
        A buncha rust! Made by AMC. 2 seater.
        A series engine. 1500cc (had 1500 cast in the side).
        ^
B series 1500, actually. Nash Metropolitan, later Rambler, and, in the UK,
Austin Metropolitan.
The early Metro's had the 1200cc B series, one of the first vehicles to
get the B-series, which was derived from the older Austin A40 1200. This
is the same basic engine seen in the MG TF 1500, MGA, MG Z type Magnette,
and later upgraded to the 1800 for MGB's, Cambridges, Marinas etc.
The cars were and are considered "cute". (they are.) So you see, the
Nash-Healey wasn't the only merging of Austin/BMC type stuff in American
production.

Roland- You really ought to check out that TC- could be a "deal" if you
look sincere and willing enough. Too far for me. Sigh.

Speaking of T-series: If anyone knows of a reasonable T-series engine/trans
available, there's a Prof here with an old MG derived hill climb special
which needs a heart. He might be interested. He's not sure which engine
it had, I think either XPAG or XPEG or whatever would fit.
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /   /||  \ \                                | The All New:
| |\/ ||  _  |      "It's starting to        | South Lansing Centre For
| |   ||   | |      rain? Put the top        | Wayward Sports Cars
 \    ||__/ /       up? What top?"           | (607) 533-7735
  \________/                                 | SAFETY FAST!