Spridget Transmission Oil

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Spridget Transmission Oil
From: mit-eddie!apple.com!tolsoft!craig@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Craig Harmer)
Date: Thu, 17 May 90 0:33:46 PDT
in regards to the question about oil for Sprite transmissions.  although
the manual calls for 30w oil, i've heard that 90w gear oil is a much better
bet, and will contribute significantly to transmission life.

since i've yet to get my bugeye running, i haven't had to make a decision
on this, but i'm inclined to run the 90w gear oil, especially a hypoid
gear oil.  hypoid gear oil is designed for those pinion & crown (???)
or bevel gears in the differential, which according to several oil bottles
i've read, have "incredible shear forces".  i would assume you get
something similar out of the helical gears in a transmission.  30w
doesn't strike me as quite up to snuff, espeically since you don't
pump it through it oil passage ways or anything.

does anyone have any experience with 90w in spridget gear boxes?

just as a side note, i had a '66 mercedes which took automatic transmission
fluid (Type A) in its manual gear box.  quite odd.

                                craig

{apple,amdahl}!tolsoft!craig                            craig@tolerant.com
(415) 626-6827 (h)                                      (408) 433-5588 x220 (w)
    [views expressed above shouldn't be taken as Tolerants' views,
    or your views or my views.  they are views without a viewer.]