Re: PARTS IS PARTS (was: Re: Thanks & Post Coital letdown

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: PARTS IS PARTS (was: Re: Thanks & Post Coital letdown
From: mit-eddie!EBay.Sun.COM!mutchler@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dan Mutchler)
Date: Thu, 17 May 90 05:59:48 PDT
//>   That's knocked Saabs off the list of cars I intend to consider.
//>   If the president doesn't think steering is part of a car's
//>   soul...

I used to own a Saab and the mechanic that I had lived by them.
The unit was the same used in the Citation class GM cars (which
ever letter body that is). Saab did a lot to change the personality
of that unit when compared to the Citation (I've driven a couple
of those as well). Saab's power steering boost was changed to
have very good feel and an excellent variable boost action.

The point I'm trying to make is there is a lot more to steering
than the rack which is all that Saab used. The power steering
action was completely redesigned by Saab to provide the feel
and response you would expect in a sports coupe. I never felt
that the Saab had any shortcomings in the steering department,
even when compared to our Spitfire. Not as quick through corners,
but I suspect that the additional 2200lbs and bigger wheelbase was the
problem there.

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler
Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this
and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice? - Arthur Dent