Re: Safety Alert!

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Safety Alert!
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Randell Jesup)
Date: Wed, 16 May 90 15:51:45 EDT
I took the "jack trick" from either the haynes or factory (I think factory)
workshop manual.  I understand the amount of energy involved, and how that can
be dengerous.  However, in this case it's fairly safe, given well-chocked
rears, real jackstands, and the number of pieces of metal between me and the
spring (lower a-arms, vertical link).  I was extremely paranoid about the car
moving (off the jackstands) or the jack moving (which was one of the reasons
I bought a floor jeck just for this job).

I had rented a spring compressor, but it didn't fit the springs.

I tend to be overly paranoid about cars falling - I often put a tire under
the frame somewhere (tire with wheel) as a backup to the jackstands, or even
use a tire/wheel instead of jackstands (they're more stable than jackstands).

BTW, I assume you need more than one threaded rod for the threaded rod trick.
I would assume two - one for each side, center bolt-hole.

        Randell