Re: Safety Alert!

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Safety Alert!
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 17 May 90 18:02:31 PDT
I'll second Bill's warning, for a slightly different reason: the weight
of the car may not be enough to compress the spring as far as you want to go!

I use a proper threaded-rod compressor (TRF sells one, if you want
something more finished than a rod and washers). The first time I did
this, I want to hurry things along, so installed the compressor and
then used the jack to lift the spring pan, tightening the compressor as
I went. All of a sudden I noticed that the car was lifting off the jack
stand, but the spring wasn't compressing any more!

Beware. Use the right tools. You only need one threaded rod, unless
you're trying to do both sides at once! The rod goes exactly where the
shock absorber would (on a TR).

chris