Re: Another LBC back on the road

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Another LBC back on the road
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 15 May 90 10:01:38 PDT
        Question: My clutch _barely_ disengages.  The pushrod is attached to
        the middle hole in the fork lever.  I tired the outer hole (to reduce
        pedal effect) but it wouldn't disengage fully there.  I haven't tried
        the topmost hole yet.  Note that the previous owner installed a new
        clutch soon before I bought it (supposedly) and appears to have put in
        new clutch master cyl. For the time being, i'm getting good at
        rev-matched downshifts. :-)  Any ideas?  Should I bleed it, try the
        upper hole, something else?

I have the same problem on my 4A. It got to the point where I couldn't
disengage at all in the middle hole. At this point, I rebuilt the
hydraulics because the master cylinder would leak down in a day (Hi
Scott!). When it was done, I had to use the top hole to get enough rod
motion to disengage. I also had to leave the return spring off, because
there was too much slop, and the return spring seemed to add just
enough resistance. Methinks this means I need to bleed more, and it
might be the same for you.

The problem may be that the bleed screw isn't at precisely the top of
the slave cylinder, so some air may get trapped there...

chris