Another LBC back on the road

Subject: Another LBC back on the road
From: Darrell Walker <mit-eddie!hprpcd.hp.com!walker@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 May 90 8:28:20 PDT
For those of you that read my long posting about my winter project,
you will remeber we where left waiting for new wheel bearings and
brake pistons.  Well, four of the five days last week, the UPS man
stopped by my house, by the weekend it looked like I had enough
parts to get going.

First, the new bearings where installed without incident, except
that the kit (which includes inner and outer bearings, grease seals,
Castrol wheel bearing grease and cotter pins) had the largest
cotter pins I have ever seen.  Fortunatly, my wife had given me
a "cotter-pin storehouse" from Harbor Freight for Chirstmas, and if
I ever rebuild an earth-mover, I have the pins for one.

Next, the steering rack backlash was set.  I couldn't get it to
feel right by following the instructions in the Haynes manual, so
I just added shims until it felt good.  Then the rack was installed
using the solid aluminum mounts from Moss, as I could never get it
mounted solidly with the rubber mountings.

Then the front calipers where rebuilt and installed, and new brake pads
and anti-squeal shims set in place.  The clutch slave cylinder was
installed, and the hydraulic systems filled and bled (and filled and bled,
and filled and bled...).

Finally, yesterday, was the big day.  Her wheels where put back on, and
she was taken off of her jack-stands.  The first thing I noticed was how
low she look back on her own feet (she was about a foot in the air on the
jack-stands for five months).  Also, the new springs in the rear hold the
back up to the proper height, she doesn't drag her behind anymore.

After a few tenative movements back and forth to ensure that the brakes
had some level of functionality, I decided it was now or never!  I slowly
eased her out of the garage, into the sunlight for a quick bath, then a
spin around the block (with the requisite Big Grin on my face).

There are still a few things to tinker with, the brakes still need some
more bleeding (is this normal after a drain-refill, or am I doing it wrong?),
the throttle linkage still needs some adjustment, and the toe-in needs
to be set.  But is great to have her back on the road!

--
   Darrell Walker                 walker@hprpcd.hp.com
   (916) 785-4059                 HPDesk: walker (hprpcd) /HP5200/UX