Rear wheel bearing

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Rear wheel bearing
From: Iain McWilliams <uunet!inmos.com!mcwill@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 May 90 15:32:42 BST
Can anyone out there explain the role of spacers and shims in the rear-axle
of a Triumph GT6 (Rotorflex). I realise that they affect the end-float, and
that end-float is a good thing to have, but I'm now very confused.

Situation:
Car is at a local garage getting a rear wheel bearing replaced. Halfway
through the day I get a phone call, basically the outer halfshaft is scrap
as is the rotorflex :-( An hour of phoning around and I finally find
someone who can supply the halfshaft for the next day. Rotorflex arrives
Thursday.

Next day garage receives halfshaft and sets about setting up the wheel
bearings. I get a call at lunchtime, explaining that there's no endfloat
on the new hub and can I arrange for some new shims.

Here is where I get confused. I assumed that no endfloat equals shim too big,
so after some thought I call the garage back and tell them to just file down
the shim until the play on the hub/wheel = required end-float, 5 thou to
25 thou. They say yep, and everything is hunky dory until one hour later
when they call back again saying there wasn't any shims in there, thats
why there was no end-float !!

Is this right ? Can someone out there give me a quick lesson on what purpose
the shim actually plays, and what is the difference between a shim and a
spacer.

Iain
mcwill@inmos.com   ... or ... mcwill@inmos.co.uk