Re: temp. dep. noise SOLVED!

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: temp. dep. noise SOLVED!
From: mit-eddie!cgl.ucsf.EDU!gregoret@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 14 May 90 23:48:31 PDT
Thanks to all who responded about my temperature-dependent '66 MGB
noise.  As most of you guessed, it was an exhaust part -- the lower
flange at the junction of the downpipe and exhaust manifold had come
loose (this flange is not attached to the downpipe, but is a movable
ring) and was rattling.  The manifold and downpipe were still somehow
attached, so we didn't have a big leak. Also, though we'd had
problems in the past with the rear flange, the noisy one turned out to
be the front one (i.e. we were looking in the wrong place.)

Thanks again for all the responses.  The fact that everyone
consistently said it must be exhaust parts (rather than engine parts)
made me breathe easier even before we tracked down the problem.

Lydia Gregoret

P.S.  getting ready to selll the Honda for real now.