Re: Another Whitworth Question (for PJE)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Another Whitworth Question (for PJE)
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 15 May 90 9:19:55 CDT

> phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov writes:
>
> >OK, here is the official skinny on Whitworth.  Source: Machinery's
> >Handbook, 20th edition.  Have you ever seen a machinist"s toolbox?
> > [some stuff deleted]
> >Bolt Diameter    Across hex flats
> >                 maximum      minimum
> >
> >1/4              .445         .438
> >5/16             .525         .518
> >3/8              .600         .592
> >7/16             .710         .702
> > [table partially deleted]
>
> >All dimensions are in inches.  A 5/15 Whitworth wrench will work for
> >the fill plug on the Armstrong lever shocks on the front of a
> > [more stuff deleted]
> >phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
>
> Philip,
>
> Thanks for posting this.
>
> You said this was only a portion of the list.  Is there another size
> between 3/8 and 7/16?  There's one banjo nut on my clutch slave cylinder
> that seems to be in between.  An SAE 5/8 (.625) is too small but a 16mm
> (~.63) fits (very snugly) so there must be something in here.  Or do I
> have yet another standard to contend with.
>
> Roland

Nope, these are all the sizes up to 3/4.  Yes 16mm is .630".  You may
have a fitting with a 16mm head a bit  over tolerance.  The fill bolts
on my shocks seem to measure .527 which is .002 over spec, so you
cannot be too surprix=zed by manufacturing goofs.
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324