Another Whitworth Question (for PJE)

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Another Whitworth Question (for PJE)
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 May 90 12:01:42 pdt
phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov writes:

>OK, here is the official skinny on Whitworth.  Source: Machinery's
>Handbook, 20th edition.  Have you ever seen a machinist"s toolbox?
> [some stuff deleted]
>Bolt Diameter    Across hex flats
>                 maximum      minimum
>
>1/4              .445         .438
>5/16             .525         .518
>3/8              .600         .592
>7/16             .710         .702
> [table partially deleted]

>All dimensions are in inches.  A 5/15 Whitworth wrench will work for
>the fill plug on the Armstrong lever shocks on the front of a
> [more stuff deleted]
>phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov

Philip,

Thanks for posting this.

You said this was only a portion of the list.  Is there another size
between 3/8 and 7/16?  There's one banjo nut on my clutch slave cylinder
that seems to be in between.  An SAE 5/8 (.625) is too small but a 16mm
(~.63) fits (very snugly) so there must be something in here.  Or do I
have yet another standard to contend with.

Roland