Wrench sizes: follow up question

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Wrench sizes: follow up question
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 May 90 14:20:54 pdt
Well, I called British Motorsports (in Campbell) to see if they carried
British Standard or Whitworth (or whatever).  They don't.  However, the
person I talked to said that he always used a 14mm wrench for the
in-between-1/2-and-9/16 size and that it was a close enough fit.  During
lunch time, I tried the 14mm again.  While it did fit, it felt very
sloppy to me.  Since I've already slightly rounded one of the nuts with
a crescent wrench, I'm not sure I want to risk making the rest only
removable with vice-grips.  Has anyone had bad results using metric
wrenches for this purpose?

As for the Snap-On question, I called them (on another matter) and found
out that they do not have an outlet in San Jose.  However, they are
located in Morgan Hill not Gilroy as I had thought.  That's not quite
so bad (for me, anyway).  While I was at it, I asked if Snap-On sold
Whitworth tools.  They don't either but they do carry British Standard.
According to the person I talked to, the wrenches are the same as far as
jaw sizes are concerned but are designated differently.  ie, a 3/8
Whitworth has an British Standard equivalent but has some other size
designation.  I don't suppose any of you have a cross reference?  Fat
chance.

BTW, I called every place around here that seemed even remotely likely
to carry British wrenches and Snap-On was the only one that did.  Do any
of the mail order places (like Moss) sell them?  It would be nice not to
have to drive all the way to Morgan Hill on my lunch hour.

Roland
cobra@hpcilsn.HP.COM