Re: To Wax or Not To Wax (Eloquent?)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: To Wax or Not To Wax (Eloquent?)
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 May 90 14:21 EDT
    Interestingly enough, the last body guy that I talked to recommended not
waxing
    the car not because of the silicone in the wax, but because wax traps dirt
    against the paint.  You are then forced to strip the wax with a detergent
when
    you clean the car, which taxes the paint.  The paint then needs the wax to
be
    really shiny.

hmmm.  the system i now use is to go over the car with a paint cleaner
every six months or so, removing all the dirt, and then waxing immediately.
subsequent wash & wax jobs only put wax on top of wax, with a little dirt
between wax layers.  the next time i do the full cleaning, the dirt and
old wax all come off, and i put on a foundation layer of wax again.

    I don't think I agree with the not waxing part, but he
    probably is right about the importance of choosing a gentle soap to wash
    your car with.

absolutely.  most of the cheap, quick car wash stuff out there is
extremely rough on paint, loaded with chemicals designed to give
quick good results at the expensive of paint life.

richard