To Wax or Not To Wax (Eloquent?)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: To Wax or Not To Wax (Eloquent?)
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 May 90 12:01 EDT
    From: waynea@cadnetix.com (Wayne Angevine)

    I am in a dilemma about whether to wax my roadster.  The pro side
    says that wax protects the paint and looks good.  On the other hand,
    I had a body man tell me one time that you should never use wax on
    a car, since the silicones make it impossible to repaint in the future
    without fisheyes and such.  In other words, once you've got silicone
    on there, you've got silicone forever.

    What do you folks do?

don't use silicone waxes; i don't like them much either.
look for a quality carnuba wax, like Meguiers (moderately
priced, very good stuff) or Zymol (expensive as all get out,
best in the world, concours winning wax.)  no silicones
at all, don't soften paint any, and all that.  i like and
use Zymol, but then, i'm crazy, and lots of people get good
results with other products.

the rules for wax selection:

1) no petrochemicals
2) no silicones
3) no abrasives

follow these and your paint will stay in good condition.
also, no car wash stuff with alkyls or brighteners in them
should be used; stick with no-phosphate lemon dishwashing
liquids, with a dash of salad oil in them.  for tough dirt,
there are some very good paint cleaners like zymol hd
cleanse that are the best things to use.  i like zymol
waxes a lot, but their `hd cleanse' is about the best thing
since sliced bread as far as i'm concerned.  it's much
better than rubbing compound for removing oxidation; i've
seen it work near miracles.

-- richard