Wrench sizes?

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Wrench sizes?
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 May 90 10:24:39 pdt
Some of you on the b-c list have already heard the story about my pet
rabbit chewing up the flexible rubber line to my front disc calipers so
I won't go into that story again.  Anyway, I decided that since I need
to take care of this problem I might just as well rebuild all of the
hydraulics at the same time.  Since the clutch has been leaking for
longer than I can remember, I decided to start with it.  Much to my
horror, I discovered that the bolts which attach the master cylinder to
the firewall aren't standard SAE.  I had hoped to find something that
was close enough in my tool box but no such luck.  So, it appears that I
need to buy some wrenches and perhaps a couple of sockets but I'm not
sure what sizes to get.  Judging by the one Whitworth (Wentworth,
British Standard, or whatever) I do have, the size stamped on the face
seems to be about 1/2 the dimension of the actual opening.  How do I
figure out what size I need (since I can't get a bolt off to take with
me)?  I measured the widths of the heads of two bolts I need wrenches
for and got the following:  .531" and .624".  The first one is somewhere
between an SAE 1/2 and 9/16" (also between 13 and 14mm).  The second one
is a bit under 5/8".  BTW, most everything else is SAE, so I don't
really need a complete set.

Another question for you south San Francisco Bay area residents:  A
clerk at an auto parts store near me said that Snap-On has a
warehouse/store on Coleman Avenue in San Jose.  The only listings for
Snap-On I could find in the phone book were for the local sales rep and
a distribution center in Gilroy.  Is there a Snap-On outlet in San Jose?

Thanks for your help,

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilsn.HP.COM