Differential - Stuck bolt

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Differential - Stuck bolt
From: Iain McWilliams <uunet!inmos.com!mcwill@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 May 90 09:10:59 BST
I must admit, when I replaced the diff on my GT6 last December I didn't
have any problem in getting the old diff out. Then again it had only been
in there for 2 years. (Amazing how quickly these cars eat diffs :-)

One thing I noticed about the bolt in question, was that it was crooked.
Just slightly but crooked none-the-less. I feel this could be the cause of
your problem. Anyway how to fix it.

If it is far enough away from the petrol tank, I'd say burn the sucker out.
Once the rubber has burnt off, you'll be left with just the bush sleve on
your bolt. Because there is now no rubber to absorb the shock a hefty blow
to the end of the bolt should free it. If not at least the rubber will be
out of the way when cutting the bolt.

I wasn't sure if I should send this in as operating a blowtorch that near
to the petrol tank sounds exceedingly hazardous. Obviously if your tank
leaks like a sieve then don't touch this with a 10 foot bargepole.

Iain
mcwill@inmos.com or mcwill@inmos.co.uk