Re: British Car Fluids

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: British Car Fluids
From: mit-eddie!uunet.UU.NET!bcstec!tahoma!gsds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (K.C.Babb)
Date: Thu, 3 May 90 08:28:35 PDT
For brake system flushing, I've always heard that the alcohol routine was
only necessary if you were switching from "regular" to silicone or vice
versa, since the two varieties are not supposed to mix well.  When we first
got the Elan we bought one of those big bottles of LMA and just started
pouring it in the top and pumping it out the bottom(s).  The old fluid was
pretty cruddy, but by the time we finished off the LMA it was coming out
clear as water.  Since we've never had any brake system hydraulic problems,
I'd guess that either what we've done is correct or we've been lucky.
We did eventually find that the rear caliper pistons were rusted in place
(no wonder it seemed as if we only had front brakes!), but that appeared
to have been a long-term condition.  Too bad we can't use the stainless
ones...

Karen