British Car Fluids

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: British Car Fluids
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 2 May 90 09:36:15 EDT
[If anyone has additions, comments, complaints, questions, etc. please mail
them to me directly. I will make approiate changes, and then post this on
the British cars archive server.] RG
[to access Rich Weltys archive server- send mail to
        archive@lewis.crd.ge.com
with the word      help      as the subject line.]

Here's a chart of some acceptable, available fluids for your British car:
{as always, check the specs for your car!}
Brake and Clutch
        DOT4 (DOT4 should be flushed and replaced at 2-3 yr intervals)
                -Castrol LMA -Low Moisture Absorbant, easy on seals
                -Girling
        DOT5 (Silicone) Doesn't absorb water, or remove paint.
                Can be a bit harder to get the air out, and may
                be more prone to boiling in heavy braking usage.
                Fantastic for long term storage -Good for 5+++ years.
        (Do not mix DOT4 and DOT5. Do not use DOT3 -it WILL rot your seals.)

Hydralyic Lever Arm shocks -This must be an hydralyic oil designed for
                this application, with anti-frothing additives.
        -OEM Girling or Lockheed Shock oil, if you can find it.
        -Motor Cycle Fork oil.
                -Castrol Fork Oil. Available in 20 & 30 wt. (30 works good)

Carburetor Piston Dampers
        -Solex Carb Damper oil, availble from some mail-order places.
-For light damping:
        -Marvel Mystery Oil (very good for this application)
        -Automatic Trans Fluid
        -3 in 1 oil
-For heavier damping:
        -20 or 30 wt Engine Oil
        -20-50 wt Engine Oil

Transmission (Check your specs! Some cars specify Hypoid gear oil, some engine
                oil, and others!)
        90 or 85-140 Hypoid Gear oil -For required high shear strength usage.
        30 wt, non- detergant, or engine oil (MGB Spec)
        Automatic Trans Fluid -This can be good for short term usage, to
                clean things out & free sticky syncros. May be prone to
                more leakage. Speced for some newer gearboxes.

Rear Differential -usually a high shear strength "Hypoid Gear Oil"
        90 wt, or 85-140wt.

Steering Gear- Usually a 90wt Hypoid Gear Oil is good.

Wheel Bearings -use a high quality, high tempature bearing grease. ie:
        -Castrol wheel bearing grease.

Grease fittings- (the stuff you use your grease gun for)
        -Lithium Grease

Cooling System
        50-50 mix of water and Anti-Freeze is best for *most* applications.
                This offers the best Anti-Corrision, Anti-Freeze, and Cooling
                capibilities.
                If you have an Aluminium head or block, you may need an
                anti-freeeze speced for use with Al.

Battery
        Top up cells with distilled water.

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!