TR6 Clutch

To: uunet!Alliant.COM!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: TR6 Clutch
From: mit-eddie!tellab5.tellabs.COM!kegel@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dave Kegel)
Date: Wed, 2 May 90 07:45:40 CDT
This is somewhat of a reply to the earlier TR6 owner (apologies for forgetting
your name) who installed a new clutch in his TR6 and it is now acting up.  I
too replaced my clutch, through-out bearing (and sleeve), cross-shaft, and
fork about 2 months ago.  When I read your mail the first thing that came to
mind was that I replaced everything that you did but my clutch has been
working remarkably smooth and effortless.  this was yesterday morning.  Reading
your mail must have jinxed me because on the way home from work my clutch
started doing just as you described.  When it begins to engage it becomes very
"sticky" and it's almost impossible to smoothly go from disengaged to
engaged.  When I got home and turned the car off, the clutch pedal works very
smoothly, so this leads me to believe that it is not hydraulics, but related
to the spinning of the throw-out bearing or clutch itself.

I also think that it is heat related, maybe you can confirm that for me.  this
morning when I first left the house the clutch worked smooth as ever.  After
about 15 minutes, though, the problem re-appeared.  I purchased all my parts
from TRF, if you did also then maybe there is a common problem with the
clutch.  Please let me know if you figure anything out, and anyone with any
ideas, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
        Dave
708-955-3216