TR 10 differential

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: TR 10 differential
From: Michael Sands <mit-eddie!apple.com!sands@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 May 90 09:25:32 -0700
This discussion of the TR 10 reminds me of the weak link on my car.
The Super Seven uses the TR 10 differential reinforced with a wide
plate the full length.  The car is notorious for eating these.  I am
unsure as to the failure mode, but the plate seems to indicate
a total twisting or wrap up of the tubes.  None if this is helped by
the way the rear axel is located.  In the Cortina and the Seven,
there is a trailing A frame.  The legs of the A are attached just
forward of the wheels and the point of the A is attached to the
bottom of the differential housing.  This results in a nice roll
center and a lot of stress to a housing.

Anyway, I am looking for an extra rear axle, preferably for a
Seven but I would settle for one from a TR 10.  Information on an
alternate that would be stronger would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael