2L SAAB turbo -> TR-7

To: sol%HOOSIER@cs
Subject: 2L SAAB turbo -> TR-7
From: Tim Buja <mit-eddie!CC.UTAH.EDU!ccm0b%PURCCVM.BITNET@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 May 1990 10:35 EST

    The engine used by SAAB in the early 99 models was made for them by
 Triumph.  The engine used in the TR-7 was very similar to the engine
 supplied to SAAB, as well as the SAAB-built engine used in later 99
 and early 900 models.  Will a SAAB 99 (or early 900) Turbo engine work
 in a TR-7?

    Later 900 Turbo engines will not fit because SAAB removed the
 jackshaft driving the water pump and distributor and replaced it with
 a belt-driven water pump and a distributor driven off the flywheel
 end of the camshaft.  You must remember that the engine in the 99 and
 900 models is installed "backwards"--the belts are towards the
 firewall, and the clutch is located just behind the radiator with a
 chain connecting the clutch output shaft to the transmission which is
 located UNDER the engine.  Supposedly this lets the clutch run
 cooler, but it also allows you to replace the clutch without pulling
 the engine or gear box out of the car.  Anyway, in the SAAB
 installation, the newer engines have the distributor facing the front
 of the car.  Moving the same engine to at TR-7 would place the
 distributor in the end of the duct to the heating system or somewhere
 near the power brake servo.

    This is all speculation as I have a TR-8 and a later 900 and I'm
 not sure how the TR-7 engine compartment differs.  To continue, would
 this conversion fit? I'm not proposing that anyone try it--I'm only
 posting the question to get some discussion started.

       Tim Buja                              Cherry Valley, IL
       (via ccm0b@vm.cc.purdue.edu)