RE: TR10

To: BRITISH-CARS <@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK:BRITISH-CARS@alliant.com>
Subject: RE: TR10
From: mit-eddie!NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK!CSTMJS%cr83.staffordshire-polytechnic.ac.uk@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 1 May 90 9:34 GMT
This message was going to contain some more info on the Standard(TR) 10,
like an owners club address, but I woke up this morning to hot sunshine and
no need to drive my euro-hatch(like for picking the kids up) and rushed up
to rip the top and sidescreens off my Dutton Phaeton, leaving said address
behind.  Nevertheless some Standard trivia:

There was also a Standard 8 (850cc ish) and a posh version of the 10 called
a Pennant.

The engine in the 10(which I mentioned was used in the first Heralds and
expanded in later ones) is a Standard Motor Co unit not a Triumph one.

When Triumph took over Standard the cars were marketed over here under
the name Standard-Truimph.  However the name Standard was originally meant
to imply "of a high standard" but limited market research in the States
indicated that dissaffected colonials intrepreted "Standard" as meaning
"not as good as Deluxe" hence the TR handle in the US!

On a different tack,  how do people avoid valve seat problems when running
old UK cars on unleaded?

Mark Stiles