Spitfire racing "manuals" wanted

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Spitfire racing "manuals" wanted
From: Jeffrey Andrew Dowley <mit-eddie!andrew.cmu.edu!jd2u+@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 16:22:26 -0500 (EST)
Mark Bradakis inspired a little cuiosity in me...

He seemed to wonder if there are any competition manuals for the
Spitfire available.
I know of 2, but are there more?
        The Roadster factory sells "Competition Preparation Manuals" for both
the Mark I - IV models and the 1500 models.  I have read them and they
are worth the $ 6-7 dollars each, but many of the suggestions are hard
to apply today.  For one, many of the parts desired are no longer sold,
yet a full description is not always provided  to figure out if there is
a new substitute.  The other complaint comes from the cost effectiveness
of certain changes.
  ( One recommendation I can make for those reading about trading the
Spitfire radiator for an aluminum Corvette radiator :  if your car has
the pre-'77 teeny tiny upright radiator and runs warm, swap to the stock
'77 radiator.  It is about 5 inches wider, and a complete bolt-up.  )

Jim and others,
What is this book you guys use as a source for all this race car data?
Is the Vizard  book worth reading for the non A-series owner?

  I have rebuilt a lot of my car following the book as much as I can,
street driving still allowed, but I have yet to talk to any one who has
made many of the changes still possible.  ( Like putting on larger sway
bar(s)(?)  )
  If any of you other DSP racers are interested I would love to share
with you what I have already learned.

later,
        Jeff
" A race car today is easier to believe in than graduating tomorrow."