Sprites :-)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Sprites :-)
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 08:27:00 EST
        I've got the studding for insulation (6"), and walls done. :-)
The wiring is next. Lots of outlets. Then I've got to figgure how to get the
sheet rock on the ceiling. (12' up!) I'm still hoping to be able to get
down to real work (cars!) by the beginning of the year. Which leads back
to thoughts of my '64 MK II Sprite, esp. with all of this Spridget talk.
(There's one for sale with 54K mi in the paper- what was it-$3000? Not in my
budget-any takers?)
Lets see, the first thing I've got to do to it is get the engine running again.
        Philip J Ethier writes:
        ...1966 Midget.  I picked it up cheap, in a basket with tons of spare
        engine, body and misc. parts.
        ^^^^^^
Phil- you don't happen to have a spare, large main, 1098 crankshaft hanging
around, do you? (with enough bearing surface left to use :-( ) The large
main is on the later 1098, which used an electric instead of mechanical
feul pump. (65-66?)

        I orginally paid $100 for it. Well, actually, Tilly did. It was a
birthday present. I had a choice between that or a watch 8-o. (Those of you
trying to get support or intrest from your S.O., go ahead and be jealous. :-)
The engine was wasted, but the body's not bad. (I have a jar with #2 piston
powder & chunks in it- "can you guess what this is?") The block had a 1/4"
groove in the cylinder wall. I gues there was a problem with rod-to-cylinder
contact :-) (But it kept running!)
After the Sprite, and a couple of others are up and running, I want
to go through the body, and do a bright yellow, like the Moss Midget Racer.
But that won't go with my *orange and white* upholstry. Orange (!) can't be
original, (can it?), the car was BRG (now white). But it is a complete set,
and is in good shape. OK, so who's got a spare set of interior trim to part
with? Something else I'd kinda like to do, mayby. I have seen a picture
of a Spridget with an fiberglass bonnet, similar in design to the bugeye,
but with flush mounted headlights. Slick. I suppose I could get a Frogeye
bonnet and do a little fiberglass work... Too bad my front wings are in such
good shape.
        Speaking of 1/4 eliptic rear springs- when I bought the car, the guy
mentioned that the rear end had a clunk around corners ever since he had
reassembled it.  No wonder, what with loose bolts holding the shocks to the
body! Talk about sloppy cornering! What standard add-ons are there for the
1/4 Eliptic rear?
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!