Brake rotors provide lousy traction!

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Brake rotors provide lousy traction!
From: mit-eddie!vax.ftp.com!mason@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Nark Mason)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 14:04:49 EST
    In case any of you have ever wondered, the first thing on a TR250
to hit the ground if a wheel comes off is the brake rotor. Those things
are strong! Well, I had always wondered until I was driving slowly
(fortunately) down a side street, the car lurched, shrieked, ground to a
stop and my wheel went flying down the hill in front of me. The brake
rotor held up fine! The wheel had cracks coming out from all 4 lug holes
and cracks that almost seperated the rim into a round peice with 4 holes
and a donut.
    Walking down the same road the next day I found 3 of the lug nuts
sitting right by the side of the road within 50 feet of where the wheel
came off.
    I had wanted to switch to alloy or wire wheels anyway, this is a good
excuse... I don't trust the wheels I have left. The roadster factory has
panasport alloys for $170 or so and wire wheels (chromed) for $255 per.
Anybody have any sugguestions for where I can get a better price, new or
used?
    I asked this once before, I'll ask again... Anybody out there interested
in a (big) project TR250?

(the parts falling off this car...)