Re: [Bricklin] Compressor system

To: efrain_nadal@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Compressor system
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 07:23:42 -0500
At 07:03 AM 11/18/2008, Efrain Nadal wrote:

 >I need to check for some leak too because I have the same problem or maybe
 >is anotherB than Bill. My battery is dead with my cut-out switch
off. Probably is
 >the battery but checking for some leak is not a bad idea.

Efrain,

The old installations for the compressor had the conpressor connected to the
starter solenoid, and hot all the time.  There is a on/off switch located on
the front cross brace behind the bumper to chop power to the compressor
when the car is stored or not driven for a while.

This configuration is NOT a good idea.  A relay should be installed to control
power to the compressor, and the relay only energized when the ign. switch
is turned on.   There have been several discussions of this in the back issues
of our magazine.  Now there is an integrated box, that combines the pressure
switch and the relay avaliable from Terry Tanner and other sources.

Using this box, or doing it yourself, you don't have to worry about forgetting
to turn off the switch when you garage your car.   I wire the bumper switch
as an emergency bypass to all me to energize the compressor, in case my
air system is empty.  When the system is charged, I turn off the switch.
Now when I start the car, the relay is energized and the compressor again
has power to it.

Another benift of this newer wiring is that the pressure switch doesn't carry
the entire current for the compressor, as it is put in the low current side
of the relay.

As to the dead battery, that can be because of the compressor, or parasitic
leaks.  You'll need to check your battery, and the other circuits in the car.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229