RE: rekindling an old interest

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rekindling an old interest
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:56:16 -0500
Steve,

Here is my $0.02.  If you haven't already done so, go to bricklin.org and read
everything.  You'll probably get some responses here by people like Rick from
High Tech Coatings and John Blair.  They post frequently and are very
knowledgeable.  Some things I think important are below.  I'm only going to
mention things that are unique to a Bricklin.  I'm not going to go into a lot
of detail but will be happy to do so over the phone if you're interested
(302-743-5483).

The air door conversion.  The car came with hydraulically opening doors but the
air door conversion is far superior.

Watch for a frame and/or suspension that has structural rust.

Check the alignment and fit of the doors.  If they don't fit right they are
probably bent.  Don't let anyone tell you it's just a simple adjustment.

Check the rear hatch for fit and alignment.  A misaligned hatch is much easier
to fix than the doors but it can still be a pain.

The original acrylic body *will* crack.  There are several solutions available
but most are expensive.  In my opinion, a car that has had the cracked panels
properly fixed is worth a lot more than an "original".

Look for curling of the panels at the edges.  The areas most prone are the
corners of the hood and hatch.  There are inexpensive solutions to prevent the
problem.

The '75 with the Ford engine is more prone to overheating than the '74 with the
AMC engine.  The '75 is more common.  Stock, the '74 made more horsepower.

Most cars are automatic.  A stick shift is rare and worth more money, all other
things being equal.

Bricklins leak water.  It comes through the doors and hatch.  They leaked when
they were new and I have yet to see one that does not leak no matter how much
work has been done.  It's not a big deal because they don't leak badly but it
is something you should know about.

Bricklins are fun.  All the above stuff is what to look for when buying but
don't loose sight of the fact that the car will get you lots of looks and
comments.  It is powerful, fast, good looking and fun to drive.  I can't think
of any car, new or otherwise that can touch the wow factor for the price.

Finally, if you are interested I am selling my '74.  It meets all your criteria
and is in excellent shape and has only 4,000 miles.  I'm happy to give you more
information and pictures if you are interested (302-743-5483).

Good luck with your search,

Stephen I. Early
Technology Sector
Bank of America Corporation