Re: rekindling an old interest

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rekindling an old interest
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 18:40:00 -0500
At 08:28 PM 3/6/2006 -0600, letacot@juno.com wrote:

>I am presently a nonowner who has always wanted to be an owner.  I've
>been interested in Bricklins since even before their introduction as I
>followed their development and marketing.  I've pursued several of them
>over the years, but never found the right car or the right deal.  I'm
>turning 50 this week and figure it's about time to do something fun
>for myself after being mostly a parent for the past couple decades....

>I'd like to hear any recommendations what you folks might wish to offer,
>such as what to look for -- or look out for -- and advantages/disadvantages
>of both model years.

Steve,

Well at least your are thinking right. :)  As to what to look for,
I'm going to take the easy way out, read the FAQ I've written:

      http://bricklin.org/TechCentral/TCFAQ.htm

Advantages/disadvantages to both model years:

I guess that depends on where you are coming from - Many AMC lovers only
want the 74's /w the AMC engine.  The Ford lovers wouldn't have one if
you gave it to them because it doesn't have Ford eng. in it.

That's the major advantages/disadvantages of each.  There are some differences
in the doors and window mechanisms between the 2 years.  I can't say which
is better, just there are differences.  With the majority of the cars being
75s, that makes them the more documented of the 2.  But this only makes a
difference in the few places there are differences - like the window
mechanisms.

>...Owning a Bricklin has been my dream since college and is my first
>choice to resolve my current mid-life crisis, but other considerations
>are (in  order of preference):
>a DeLorean, a '67 Sting Ray, or a '69 Mustang Mach I Cobra Jet SCJ.

Many of the Bricklin owners also own DeLoreans.  Since I don't own a
DeLoro I can only speak in generalities and what I've been told.

1. The DeLorean is a more finished/refined car in interior and exterior
   fit and finish.

2. I'm told the DeLorean steers a lot harder than the Bricklin as it doesn't
   have power steering.

3. The stock Delorean is quite a bit slower than the Bricklin.  This was
   fixed by an aftermarket turbo charger or two.

4. The Delorean's Renault/Peugot/Volvo V6 is a little more unusual engine
   than either the 74 or the 75 Bricklins, and may be harder to get parts
   for.

5. The Bricklin is very well supported (as is the DeLorean) by a very small
   collection of vendors.  However, I believe the Bricklin parts are cheaper
   and a little more readily available than the DeLorean's.  But that's just
   my opinion based on various comments I've heard.

6. Both cars will present some problems getting serviced since both are
   ophans.  I think the B with the American engines will be a little easier
   to convince someone to work on.  However, both the hydrolic and air door
   systems on the Bs will scare most mechanics away.  Either way, you will
   have to find a good mechanic that is NOT affraid of a little challange
   and is willing to listen or ask for help.

The Bricklin has an outstanding quarterly magazine (I'm sure the DeLorean
clubs must have something also) that is geared to the technical side.  Our
goal is to keep them on the road.  So we have lots of how to articles so
you or your mechanic can maintain your car.

Hope that sheds a little biased (by a Bricklin owner, and I must admitt an
officer in the club).

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ        email:  jblair1948@cox.net
1133 Chatmoss Dr.            eBay id: zebra48-1
Va. Beach, Va                Phone:  (757) 495-8229

Bricklin International VP Publications
Editor/Publisher The Brickline
Quarterly Magazine of Bricklin International

     75 Bricklin SV1 (#887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III