Re: roof trim panel restoration

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: roof trim panel restoration
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:15:22 -0400
At 12:03 PM 7/23/2005 EDT, GLCurley@aol.com wrote:

>You are right.  It probably not worth trying to restore the cardboard,
except
>as a temporary measure for the meet next week, and it has flattened out just
>from wetting it slightly and weighting down it overnight.
>
>I need to keep the original headliner material, but think it can be safely
>peeled off and reapplied to something else.  Either a new piece of
waterproof
>cardboard (from an upholstery supplier) or plastic, fibreglass or metal as
you
>suggested.
>
>If this were not a stock-class car, I would add soundproofing and adjust the
>size of the template, fitting it closer to the door openings, and more
likely
>would take it to a professional interior shop.

George,

As Tina mentions using metal, the other possibility is using either
tempered masionite or 1/8" plywood make a template.  Tape some wax paper
to the metal roof.  Then lay a coat of epoxy or fiberglass resin over the
top of the new panel.  Screw it into place, and either add some additional
screws if it panel has to be concave or a jack to press up in the center
of the template.  Let the epoxy/resin cure.  Then remove, recover and
reinstall.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229