roof trim panel restoration

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: roof trim panel restoration
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:16:10 EDT
Does anyone have any experience restoring the interior roof trim panels?  It
looks like heavy cardboard with vinyl glued to it and stapled over top.  Mine
has gotten out of shape from water damage, but the vinyl is still attached.
The cardboard does not seem to be delaminated, just somewhat distorted.  It
hangs down everywhere there is not a screw.

I plan to lay it on a flat surface with weights on top for a couple days to
see if it can be made flat again.  I am considering putting some kind of glue
on the back side and covering with wax paper, in the theory it will soak into
the cardboard and add more stiffness.  On top of the wax paper would be 1/2
inch plywood and then cinder blocks.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestion what glue (or other substance) to
use?  It has to be somewhat flexible or else it will crack.  I was going to try
Weldbond, or maybe Elmer's waterproof glue?  I have an extra panel to
experiment on first.

Or is this a really stupid idea?  What do you think?  Thanks.

George #670, 220