RE: The new web site and issues

Subject: RE: The new web site and issues
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:35:42 -0500
Michael Mitchell wrote:

>The club used to devote a couple of pages to the balance sheet once a year.
>I don't believe they still do it, but I'm sure any BI member could get a
>copy if desired. I believe the magazine is what takes up most of the funds -
>any quality magazine is expensive to produce, especially in small
>quantities.

Since I became an officer and the editor/publisher of The Brickline, I have
demanded that the club disclose the treasurer's report - "the ballance
sheet".  It is presented to the officers at the board meeting at each
Eastern National meet, and then printed in The Brickline in the Oct. issue.

Michael - if you want to put it up, I can provide it in pdf format.

Now for a little more insite.  Unfortunately, the host for the mailing list
autox has turned off the ability for me to determine how many people are
on this list.

Historically we have about 100 people registered and less the 50 that are
very active.  About 1/2 of the people on this list are current club members.

Historically BI has about 350 members.  Many of which don't have internet
connections or don't want them.

We know that over 1500 car are surviving and that some owners have more than
1 car.  My guess would be that that means there are between 1000 and 1300
distinct owners.

Consiquently, very few of the owers are club members and fewer are on either
the mailing list or the forum.

As to what a member gets for his dues?  That's a ligitamate question.  Let
me see if I can try and give some answers:

1.  Members get the magazine.  The magazine cost the club about $12,000
    per year to publish!  Now with about 350 members @ $40 per yr dues,
    that comes to about $14,000 of income.  Leaving the club with about
    $2,000 in operating capatial.

2.  The club hosts 2 annual meets.  I'm not sure what they cost the club
    up front.  Fortunately, they usually make more money than they cost
    so that adds to the clubs treasury.

3.  The club has Bricklinalia.  Which is the source for new comers to get
    the parts, shop, and owners manuals for their cars.  Not to mention
    all the other items we sell.  Over the long run Bricklinalia makes
    money, but not that much.  But the club MUST put up the front money
    for the manuals.

4.  The club pays for hosting of our web site.

5.  There are operating expenses for the officers - for me the editor, it
    runs about $250 per yr. to cover my cost of supplies to create the
    magazine - ie. phone calls, paper, ink, and postage.

6.  It pays for "lost" magazines.  When a member doesn't receive his magazine
    the club will send them a replacement by mail.  This over head is handled
    by the Registrar, George Malaska.

7.  The Pres. Jim Wajda has gotten a lot of historical material from various
    sources that ends up in Bricklinalia.  Again, the club has to put up
    the front money.

8.  The club has to pay for certain insurance policies, and legal fees.
    We are an organized, non-prophit organization.  I'm not sure what all
    goes into this.  But it probably ain't free.

9.  A common collective, to steal a term from SciFi.  Members have a built
    in support group.  They know they can sit at the computer and ask for
    help, pick up the phone and get answers.  And there is fellowship at
    the various meets and get togethers.

Years ago I was writing articles about restoring my 65 Morgan and belonged
to 1 of the 3 major Morgan clubs in the world.  However, they, the club,
lost sight of it members.  It's publication had become a beer bash magazine,
focusing on the local events and gatherings.  Unfortunately on 10% of its
members lived locally.  I wrote the editor and president of the Morgan
club trying to change that.  My letters fell on deaf ears.

All of the officers in BI are NOT paid for any of the work they do for the
club.  It's all volunteer.  So sometimes things take a while to get done.
But the club does have the right focus:

Not every member is able to send the car to one of the restoration shops
for general maintenance or restoration.  And the shops can't handle EVERY
Bricklin.  If all owners sent their car to Terry or Bob, many wouldn't see
there cars for year and years.  As a side note, I was courious how long it
takes to restore a car.  In my research, most estimates are about 700-900
hours.  However, I find this to be a little low.  It took me 1741 hours
to do my Morgan originally, and I'm over 1800 hours on the Bricklin.

1.  We WANT new members to join.  Not because we are greedy, but because
    without new members, the club WILL die.  Why, because the old members
    are exactly that - getting old, and will pass away.  So who then will
    replace them, as Officers, and as members?

2.  The car needs the club.  Without an organized collective effort, most
    of the cars will fall into disrepair, and end up in junkyards.  The
    vendors will move on to other venues.  The ones that remain, will have
    to change.  For instance, if Terry can sell enough parts, he won't make
    any more fenders.  So where will the owners be, when they loose a fender,
    roof, or quarterpanel?  Out of luck.

3.  The magazine tries to provide both human interest stories for those
    members that aren't technically or physically able to work on their
    cars.  It has technical artilcles in hopes that the members can either
    a. maintain their cars.
    b. have someone that is capable, but doesn't understand how the B is
       put together.  So with the right info. their mechanic and do the
       work.

And like the college student said, he'd rather put the money into an
alternator.  I too am on a shoe string budget.  Spending money on the
car, can't come at the cost of food or the necessities from my family.
However, I joined BI, back in 86 or 87, before I bought my car.  Looking
to get info on the marque, and parts info.

We all know the old adage, "Time is money".  I've always said I'd willingly
pay $1 for an answer to any question.  I have over $40 questions a year.
Not to mention how much money you save, if you know to do a particular job.
Unfortunately, most Novices (to the Bricklin) don't know how to do many of
the repair jobs.  That's why we have the mailing list and the forumn.  To
give timely help.

It is unfortunate that the magazine can't be as interactive as the mailing
list or the forum.  But that's the nature of the beast.  And you don't
usually get the detail description of how to on either of the online
mediums that you will find in the magazine.

Bottom line, the club needs it members to stay alive and vital.  Bricklin
owners need help and support.  Some people say, "I'm just not a joiner".
So be it.  The club members and non member will continue to help each
other.

Does anyone remember trying to work and a car before the net?  When I restored
my other cars, the Morgan, the P1800, an MGB, there wasn't the help outside
of a club.  The net has made things a lot easier.  But unfortunately, too
many people think that everything is fast, free, and pushbutton - should I
say a mouse click - simple.  It just ain't so.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair1948@cox.net
1133 Chatmoss Dr.              eBay id: zebra48-1

Bricklin International VP Publications
Editor/Publisher The Brickline
Quarterly Magazine of Bricklin International

     75 Bricklin SV1 (#887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III