Re: The new web site and issues

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: The new web site and issues
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:42:40 -0500
> 1.  Members get the magazine.  The magazine cost the club about $12,000
>     per year to publish!  Now with about 350 members @ $40 per yr dues,
>     that comes to about $14,000 of income.  Leaving the club with about
>     $2,000 in operating capital.

The magazine is worth every dollar of the dues by itself! My only complaint
is I wish it was every week instead of quarterly, I enjoy my little break
when it comes in the mail, wish I could do it once a week. I know it's not
feasable but I can dream can't I? I guess that's why I own 3 bricks oops 4.

> 3.  The club has Bricklinalia.  Which is the source for new comers to get
>     the parts, shop, and owners manuals for their cars.  Not to mention
>     all the other items we sell.  Over the long run Bricklinalia makes
>     money, but not that much.  But the club MUST put up the front money
>     for the manuals.

I regularly see stuff available From the club, sell for a lot more on eBay,
just another benefit of joining

> 9.  A common collective, to steal a term from SciFi.  Members have a built
>     in support group.  They know they can sit at the computer and ask for
>     help, pick up the phone and get answers.  And there is fellowship at
>     the various meets and get togethers.

The camaraderie is exceptional in this club

> 1.  We WANT new members to join.  Not because we are greedy, but because
>     without new members, the club WILL die.  Why, because the old members
>     are exactly that - getting old, and will pass away.  So who then will
>     replace them, as Officers, and as members?

What will ever do without our editor, there are some big shoes to fill in
the organization. with any kind of luck it will take John another 5-10 years
to finish his brick and move on to another "project"

> 2.  The car needs the club.  Without an organized collective effort, most
>     of the cars will fall into disrepair, and end up in junkyards.  The
>     vendors will move on to other venues.  The ones that remain, will have
>     to change.  For instance, if Terry can sell enough parts, he won't
make
>     any more fenders.  So where will the owners be, when they loose a
fender,
>     roof, or quarterpanel?  Out of luck.

Yes and the club has people like me that are not in the "bricklin business"
but do have some parts available for sale, without the club these parts
would be sitting in the corner gathering dust for another 30 years.

> We all know the old adage, "Time is money".  I've always said I'd
willingly
> pay $1 for an answer to any question.  I have over $40 questions a year.
> Not to mention how much money you save, if you know to do a particular
job.
> Unfortunately, most Novices (to the Bricklin) don't know how to do many of
> the repair jobs.  That's why we have the mailing list and the forumn.  To
> give timely help.

If I got half a dollar for every bricklin question I answered I'd be able to
retire... last month alone!

> Bottom line, the club needs it members to stay alive and vital.  Bricklin
> owners need help and support.  Some people say, "I'm just not a joiner".
> So be it.  The club members and non member will continue to help each
> other.

I'm not a joiner and " I don't want to belong  to any club that would have
someone like me for a member" But I think of it as a subscription to a real
nice Magazine.

> But unfortunately, too many people think that everything is fast, free,
and pushbutton - away

You've been watching  "the Jetson's"  again, haven't you

Rick R