RE: Rack and Pinion Steering

To: gschiro@lni.net, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rack and Pinion Steering
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:40:14 +0000
====
Thanks for the insights Rick.
====
Just for clarity, it was Rick that provided the first insights about what
would be involved.  The guy to whom you replied was me, Phil. :)

====
I have my 74' Brick complete disassembled down to the frame and am
installing a Chevy 305 TPI
====
Cool!

====
oil pan clearance shouldn't be a problem (though inference between the
distributor and firewall might).
====
Well, that's your perfect excuse for going to a distributorless ignition,
then, isn't it?  It's more trick and it'll help handling by letting you move
the engine back...

====
Which power rack and pinion unit are you using?
====
I'm using the unit out of my old '88 RX-7.  I'm intending to use some kind
of rotary engine for power, so I figured I'd save myself a bit of headache
in terms of pump/bracket compatibility with the engine.  Plus the RX-7 unit
has a nice pedigree, very good feel, and I already owned it. :)

Right now this is still in the early stages - the front suspension is being
built from scracth, and is currently just roughed-in.  The detailed design
work is being done by some race car fabricators I know so I don't have all
the details right now...

Good luck with it,
--
Phil Martin