Re: Rack and Pinion Steering

To: gschiro@lni.net, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rack and Pinion Steering
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 21:01:34 +0000
Yes, I'm doing this.  But I'm also replacing the entire frame and suspension
with custom-fabbed stuff, so it doesn't quite count...  Rick (I think that's
HTC's real name) offers a cogent explanation of what's involved - replacing
the crossmember and spindles is probably the cleanest although not
necessarily the easiest way to accomplish this.

If the biggest problem is oil-pan clearance, then how about switching to a
dry-sump system? ;)

I'm doing this mod (amongst many others) on my Bricklin, but on my '84 RX-7
which is a daily driver and much closer to stock (just some driveline
changes and lowering springs & dampers), I decided that it wasn't worth the
effort.  Your Bricklin is probably somewhere between the two in terms of
mods.

My (unsolicited) advice would be:

If you want a straightforward mod to improve the feel and quickness of the
steering, then changing to a rebuilt or different recirc ball setup is
probably your best bet, along with some more modern, lower-profile tires and
maybe some stiffer bushings and a strut tower brace.  Even changing the pump
to one regulated at a lower pressure to give the stock box less boost might
improve feel.

If you want something trick and cool and you're keen to do some more
extensive work, then definitely do the switch to R&P.  Look at the bushings,
suspension geometry, control arms, wheels/tires, shocks/springs, and bracing
while you're at it.  And send us pics of your work!!! :)

Hope this helps,
--
Phil Martin
"I want the things that I had before