Re: IGNITION SWITCH

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: IGNITION SWITCH
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:28:03 -0400
>I recently ran into the following problem:
>
>The key in the column switch is hard to turn.  When I start the car and
>leave the key return to the "on" position the engine shuts down.  If I hold

>the key in the start position the engine continues to run.  Now for the
>difficult solution.  I towed the car into the garage and it seems like the

>problem has gone away.  They have started the car for several days and have

>had no problems.  Has anyone experienced this problem and have a solution?

John,

  In addition to the possibility that the ign. switch
is going bad, it could be that it is out of adjustment.
There are 2 small screws that hold it in place.  The holles
in the switch are oblong, to allow the switch to move
some.

  As to why the mechanical portion of it is hard to turn,
don't really have a clue, unless there is just a ton
of dirt in the mechanism.  Since the mechanical part is
responsible for locking the steering wheel, it may be that
when you steering wheel locked, it applied a lot of
pressure to the locking mechanism.  Next time this happens,
try to rock the steering wheel and see if that doesn't
free up the mechanics and let the key turn easier.