Re: roof seams

To: jblair@exis.net, Isensee@aol.com
Subject: Re: roof seams
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 23:15:16 EST
In a message dated 4/3/2002 7:47:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, jblair@exis.net
writes:

> At 03:47 PM 4/3/02 EST, Isensee@aol.com wrote:
>
> >Terry Tanner recommends the material that GM uses to seal seams in
> Corvettes.
> >I used that about 10 years ago and it is still holding up well. I probably
>
> >still have some around and can try to find it and get the name, if you
> like.
> >
> >It is best to grind out the old material in the seam rather than put the
> new
> >stuff over it.
>
> Scott,
>
>   I'd be very interested in the name.  When I did mine, I used dyna-glass
> and worked it in with a drill bit to get the concave effect.  Then topped
> it
> off with some bondo and the drill bit again.  I probably should have used
> seam sealer.  I still have to do the rear panel to quarter panels.
>
> How do you grind the old stuff out?
>
> The best tip I've heard on this is to use a hack saw blade and carfully
> work
> /cut the old stuff out.
>
> John

Are you talking about roof seams?  I thought the reason you are not supposed
to fill in and paint over those was because they will flex and the paint will
crack, so you should only fill in with something that would flex.  Wouldn't
Bondo be too brittle, or are you talking about different seams?

George