Re: To modify or not...

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: To modify or not...
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:55:34 -0500
Yes, it's a tough decision Claude. One that I wrestled with for a while
since mine was in cherry shape (As both Bob and TT can attest to).  It just
couldn't get out of it's own way and still ate plenty of gas, plus it
overheated.   I just was not happy at all with the performance.  Time has
become a rare entity presently, and so I've had to pay for others to do the
work.  This has proved a frustrating and outrageously expensive venture.
As Bob and Terry can attest to, it is a rarity for me to haggle about any
price.  I respect a "professional" and am willing not to nickel and dime him
to death.  But this seems to be a huge error, and I agree, it would have
been better to go with a crate motor than perform internal mods, but I
wanted to maintain as much of the OEM as possible and the motor had been
preserved well using synthetic for most of it's 5k life.  Taking it apart
was a eye opener since everything looked practically just broken in.  But
don't cut the stock motor short.  It's actually very beefy compared with
today's motors and can take plenty of juice.  They can very easily be
controlled with a stroked crank and good solid parts, nothing exotic.  They
are far more easily modified than any motor today, and the 351s as opposed
to the 360s, remain a very popular motor and a common swap for Mustang's
302s.   Pre 75 are most coveted due to a lot of extra iron.   All well, live
an learn.   Well, there's always next time, but perhaps that will be a
while.  It just ain't any fun to spend your money and get pissed off.
That's not the purpose of the stuff, is it?

stephan #2821

///
///