1974 AMC 360 Starters

To: list Bricklin <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1974 AMC 360 Starters
From: Kenneth Parkman <Kenneth.Parkman@pwc.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:36:59 -0500
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:22:51 -0500
From: Kenneth Parkman <Kenneth.Parkman@pwc.ca>
Subject: Re: 1974 AMC 360 Starters
To: David Peabody <Peabodydc@prodigy.net>

The late model starter (also used on the straight six) does fit on the AMC. The
starter drive number of teeth is different, but I have heard that the pitch is
correct so it will work, although I haven't tried it myself so I can't guarantee
it. What I have tried is both the Tilton AMC (fairly expensive) mini-starter and
one that we can make you from a Nippondenso core using a flange for the AMC.
I've sold some of those to various AMC racers and I have one on my 401 rambler
and it works extremely well, better than the Tilton, which I have on my race
car.

David Peabody wrote:

> Has anyone found a good replacement starter for this engine?
>
> I spoke with Bob Hoffman today and he thought maybe the starter for the
> 94-95 Jeep w/360 eng. might work. However, I didn't get to the supplier
> before closing time.
>
> I'm looking for a smaller version of the existing one.
>
> Dave

///
///