Re: to mod or not to mod....... Claude

To: CBL302@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: to mod or not to mod....... Claude
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 19:26:55 EST
In a message dated 3/8/2001 5:05:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CBL302@email.msn.com writes:

> Again HiPo parts were made for
>  high speed in a short amount of time,and will NEVER last
>  in the long run,that IS why owners of HiPo modified cars are ALWAYS
>  repairing/working on their cars,and the people with the factory orignal
cars
>  are driving and enjoying their cars.

> Which proves my point that the Bricklin (or any car) that is
>  setup to factory specs.WILL always outlast any Modified car in the long
run.

That is absolutely untrue.  I have several cars with very successful
modifications that have been have been running for years much more reliably
than stock.

There are some cases where you trade off longevity to get better performance.
 Tires are the first thing that comes to mind.  In general, that sticky
rubber is more expensive but does not last as long.  Personally I don't mind
getting more grip and less tread life.   Supercharging is also a trade-off,
and headers can be more prone to leak over the long run than cast iron
manifolds.

However, most performance parts are more durable.  That's why people use
them.  High performance parts such as forged cranks, pistons, rods etc. are
of better quality materials and manufacturing processes and will last longer
than a stock part under the same conditions.  If you don't believe the
manufacturers, you can take the parts to any college materials lab and test
them.  Furthermore, so-called "stock" engines ("as setup from the factory")
are not even built to the engineering specs in the first place, the
tolerances were way off.  That is why when you completely "balance" the parts
in a high performance engine it will run better and last longer.

High-end aftermarket ignition systems will last longer, perform better and
more reliably.  Custom stainless exahust systems will last longer than stock.
 High voltage spark plug wires may not be good for radio reception but they
will last just about forever, and perform better the whole time.

The carb on the AMC Bricklin was a piece of junk that caused me nothing but
problems.  I hated to replace it for the sake of originality, but the Holley
has given more consistent running, better fuel economy, and better
performance.  In 4 years I've had zero problems with it.

I have a 1983 RX-7 that in 1989 I basically ripped out the entire intake
system and replaced with dual sidedraft SU's, mildly ported the intakes,
replaced the engine rotors with lighter weight ones, addded headers,
stainless exhaust, steel-braided oil lines, shock tower brace, beefier
suspension components, and switched to a high performance breakerless
ignition system.  This almost doubled the horsepower and in 12 years, I have
not had a single problem with any of these components.  In that same time, I
have owned about 8 other cars of similar model and none of the stock
components have been as reliable.

You have a point in what you are saying, but drawing an incorrect conclusion
of cause and effect.  It is not about the parts.  Those same guys that are
blowing up their high performance engines would also be blowing up unmodified
engines if they had them, only faster.

George

///
///