Re: Four season Bricklins

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Four season Bricklins
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:56:46 -0500
Hi Keith,
  I had just a limited time with Bricklins in the snow when I drove TT's car
(or attempted to drive, living in Miami for too many years).   Although TT
was able to finesse the B like an old pro, his compressor switch froze and
drained his battery (using a marine rated covered switch would have been
more appropriate).  Also using Optima's Yellow Top dual start/deep cycle
battery should resolve any battery issues, as this battery is truly a unique
bird.  Of course, a good alt is required that can take the higher drain.
    The doors worked fine though so maybe yours need some light lube and I
would really suggest putting a drier/oiler in the line.
    As for overheating, the lower t'stat might actually work against you.
IMHO, the best fix for this is installing a t'stat regulated  twin elect fan
IN FRONT of the rad and condenser in push mode.  This has worked incredibly
well in keeping mine well within limits (180-210)  whether high speed
cruises, standing idle, or midday stop and go traffic and I'm producing a
lot more hp (heat) than stock.  Do NOT remove the gaskets at the hood/cowl
line as this then allows fumes into the fresh air vents!  This idea is not
only poorly conceived, it's downright dangerous!
    The rear defroster can have several problems including breaks in the
grid, or a weak connection at the hatch soldered terminal among the typical
stuff.
    The door leaks are another problem and even after TT's install of new
seals, adjustments and promises, they still gush and the new seals are
already deteriorating!
    The blower mod TT performed really f'd up my vent system since it
disconnects the defroster control and screws everything up and so not only
would I not recommend it, it should be condemned!
    Either Bob H or TT should have the p/n on hand for the blower motor.
There still appears to be a search for a higher speed motor that rotates in
the RIGHT direction.  I'm all ears on this one.
Well, I hope some of this helps.  As for rear traction, I think snow tires a
re a good idea.  The stock B (any year) does not have an extraordinary
amount of HP at the rear wheel, and it certainly is no featherweight.

stephan #2821