Heater Blower Motor and Winter Bricklins

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater Blower Motor and Winter Bricklins
From: "Keith Kelley" <kkelley@comauction.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 14:00:45 -0500
Does anyone know the part number of the heater
blower motor?  The fan just stopped working,
and its not the fuse, so... I am actually driving
my car this winter, so it's kind of critical
I find a way to fix it, if not for the warmth,
then simply for the visibility.  Already my
rear defrost does not work.

Other winter problems I have had, if it will
disuade anyone from attempting to depend on their
Bricklin in the winter include:

On particularly cold days, my doors would not open,
after rebuilding the solenoids in the compartment
behind the driver's seat, they open most, but not
all of the time.

My electric air compressor (only a year old), on
cold days sounds sickly, and today blew fuse after
fuse before overcoming whatever hurtle it needed
to before croaking to life again.

When my heater was working, leaving the car running
long enough to warm it up for a) passenger comfort
or b) to allow the doors to work, would cause my
car to overheat to such an extent that it would
stall and not start again. And I do have a new 160
degree thermostat in it.

Getting out of my driveway a couple of days ago,
the sheet metal beneath my driver's side floorpan
was ripped off by the snow, along with the switch
that changes from headlights to brights. I hope it
wasn't important.

Getting into my driveway, I will often catch snow
causing my belts to get wet and squeak something fierce.

At the slightest snow, the Bricklin will get stuck,
or slip. It's too powerful, rear wheel drive, and
way too low. admittedly, I should buy snow tires,
though I think it would not make enough difference
for this area.

Once, while I was stuck for a while, my transmission
made funny noises any time I put it in park, it
stopped when I got it out of the snow, but it also
just about stopped my heart when it did it.

When the snow is thawing, the roof leaks water; the
doors leak cold air all the time.

The battery, new, gets weak often in the winter, no
doubt due to the extra draw by the air compressor and
the fact that I only live 2 miles from the office.

These along with the failure of the defroster and
rear defroster due to whatever little Bricklin
electrical gremlins, make the car undrivable in the
winter, make for alot of time standing or driving
in the cold, make for alot of fixing of things
in the cold, and generally make for a miserable
experience.

The moral is, plan ahead, buy a winter car, if you
ever thought you could make it through the winter
because you don't drive much, you can't, not really.

So, because it's too late for me, before I get on my
knees in the snow to try to pull my blower motor
(I can't get at my garage because of the snow drifts)
does anyone have that part number?

Thanks,
Keith Kelley