Re: Gas Struts

To: <WUZNTME2@aol.com>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gas Struts
From: "bricklingeorge" <bricklingeorge@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 21:46:09 -0400
  I would be CAREFULL of putting stronger gas struts on your doors. You
could end up pushing the top of your doors out,away from the top and create
a whole new set of problems (leaks, bends, etc.) The late '75 and '76 models
had the attatching balls on the outside of the birdcage and instead of the
inner ones in the corner of the cage, they were on the door (just the
opposite of the way  they are now). As TT explained to me,they found out
that the struts were actually pushing the front of the door out when it was
closed. By mounting them the other way, you still get assist when opening
the door and when closed they are actually pushing the top of the door in
towards the roof and creating a better seal. I had them that way on #2623
and they worked fine.
  About the reason for the switch from AMC to Ford. Terry tells the story
that Malcolm was at a dinner with the president of AMC and told him that he
couldn't build cars right. The president of AMC told Malcolm "Let's see you
build them with engines", and that was that! Then the Canadian govt. asked
Ford to supply powertrains and help make it an all Canadian car. Ford agreed
as long as Malcolm paid cash, as they knew the financial straits he was in.
That's the way it has been related to me.
  Hope this helps.
  George.

George J. Malaska, VIN#768.
Membership Director, Bricklin International
Elkhart, IN. 219-875-1270
bricklingeorge@msn.com.