Gas Struts

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas Struts
From: WUZNTME2@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 14:16:29 EDT
I have been working on this problem for a little while now.  I really did not
want to have to spend $90.00 for each gas strut and $6.00 for each pivot
ball, so I looked around and found a alternate solution.  I went to the
"JUNK" yard, although its more like a gold mine, and I found some PIVOT BALLS
with the same thread size from a CHEVY BLAZER / FORD ESCORT . The only
problem with them is that the BALL is a lot smaller than the ones on the
BRICKLIN.  My local PEP BOYS had some gas struts that were very close in
length, the ones I wound up buying were made by PROLIFT model 92700 @ $22.50
each. There is a slight modification that I needed to do to make them work.
I needed to file/grind a little off of the top of the gas strut ( filed some
of the "plastic" down )so when the door closes, there would be enough room
for the strut to turn and NOT touch the steel/chrome plate that is attached
to the roof portion of the car. The only other "problem you WILL run into is
because the gas strut is longer, it is a REAL BITCH compressing it enough to
get it to fit into the pivot balls.  I recommend that you connect the top one
first then work the bottom one into place.  With a little work,  you can
replace both gas struts at a fraction of the cost of the "original" struts
and pivot balls.  for about $55.00 I have new pivot balls and new gas struts
on both my doors and they work just fine.  Good Luck.

Michael C.