Re: '75 fix ups

To: GodlyKrew@aol.com
Subject: Re: '75 fix ups
From: Steve Bepko <sbepko@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 06:50:35 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 26 Oct 1997 GodlyKrew@aol.com wrote:

> I'm still working on VIN 1758....it runs great, but still has a few things
> that bug me...
>
> 2.  I need the new emergency brake rubber boot. Mine is shot and it feels as
> though there is a blast of hot air coming from underneath the center console.
>  Make and model, where 2 find....

Terry Tanner (see web page for Phone #) has high temp replacements.

> 3.  The passenger side window is apparently off the track.  it slips lower
> every time I drive it.  Any tips on how to be sure the window is back where
> it should be would help...I cant afford to let go of the window, thinking its
> on track and have it drop all the way down inside the door, a 3 hour job.

The window mechanisms on the Bricks were not well designed.  Too much
torque required, and usually the mechanism will bend.  The windows on BOTH
the doors on VIN #301 are problem areas.  We had the car down to Terry's
shop, they were both rebonded within 2 weeks both were off again.  Terry
thinks (actually, is pretty sure) that the doors are simply bent a little,
causing the problem (too much stress on the glass, it will eventually give
at the glass/mechanism bond).  Terry will give you ideas as to how to
attempt to fix (maybe your doors are OK), but it is not a job for the
faint of heart, especially without knowing how to "unbend" the mechanism
(which, BTW, needs a welded-on support that Terry puts on as part of the
$150 repair).  He will probably send you a diagram of the mounting
distances the pane needs to be from the edges of the mounting rail, if you
ask nicely.  They are good guys...

> 4.  The tachometer reads much higher than the actual RPM rate.  I assume its
> the guage.  where can I find a replacement guage that matches the
> speedometer?

Get a Summit Racing catalog, they have some VDO gauges that, while not
EXACTLY the sme as original (the orientation of the numbers on the dial
are a tad different, and the rim may be a different color), it is as close
as you'll probably get.  The speedometer replacement we bought was $90
or so.

> 5.  The fuel guage is not working.  Every once in a while it will move from
> its home (empty) and go to the right place on the guage, say 1/2 tank.  Bad
> connection, maybe, or is it a bad guage?  Please dont say its the sensor in
> the tank.  If i have to replace that, I had might as well go ahead and
> restore the whole car from the ground up.

Good luck on this one.  The connection is easy to test, but I'd bet on the
gauge.

I am Pentium of Borg, precision is futile,
you will be approximated...

     /  |  .        sbepko@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us          . .      .      |